Gravity may not be a constant!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gravity may not be a constant!

In the New York Times, July 12th, 2010, there was an interesting article about the force of gravity. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/13/sc...=1&ref=science For a long time scientists have been trying to discover the "graviton", the particle responsible for gravity. But regardless of the mental gymnastics that mathematicians go through, they can not define its' existence. And as much as they have tried over the years, they have gotten no closer. In the 1970's, Jacob Bekenstein, and Stephen Hawking began examining systems in the universe where gravity is an important factor, black holes. This is significant, because it sheds new light on the relationships involving gravity.

Now, I realize, many people may not care what these bright people think or what they have unravelled.

Erik Verlinde, 48, a respected string theorist and professor of physics at the University of Amsterdam, evidently, thinks he has uncovered, or maybe enhanced the understanding of gravity. There are some string theorists that confess they don't understand what he is saying. But to quote Dr Verlinde, "For me gravity does not exist". In this articles there are some strong statements like "gravity is simply a byproduct of nature’s propensity to maximize disorder". It seems that the theory of thermodynamics is a strong contributor in Dr Verlinde's concepts.

The bottom line for me is, that it seems Dr Verlinde is saying that gravity is a random effect of an undefined system. Now the best I could do to clarify his theory in my mind is come to the realization that effects are caused by systems as opposed to specific things. One example leads to the creation of wind. If the sun shines down on the East Coast of the US, it heats the land and the sea at different rates and they in turn reflect heat at different rates. This imbalance can cause a breeze. When the sun sets, the breeze will reverse. The system is essentially the land, the sea, and the sun. But trust me, the system that Dr Verlinde is talking about is far more complicated.

The good news is that there seems to be some consistency in the system and the results within the universe in which we live. But a different universe may have different systems and different results.

I believe that Dr Dahesh, in his manner attempted to introduce some of these concepts to us. He would have had us believe, that no matter how we struggle, we are far from understanding the mysteries of God. The best we can do is imagine the possibilities.

Interesting... OK, just like Einstein asked "and what if TIME is not an absolute?" he's asking "What if Gravity is not absolute, either?"

I recommend revisiting this old thread which features Lisa Randal's work.
    "Fail, to succeed."

Comment

Originally posted by Mario View Post
      Interesting... OK, just like Einstein asked "and what if TIME is not an absolute?" he's asking "What if Gravity is not absolute, either?"

I recommend revisiting this old thread which features Lisa Randal's work.
      The basis of so much discovery in our age is due to the potential of mathematics to enable people to be able to imagine the unknown. How exciting it could be to be able to reincarnate as a person capable of understanding mathematics far more complex than is currently understood. To be a person with unlimited potential.

Comment

More News

And here is more information strange speculation that could reflect upon the operation of gravity. Gravity, the phenomenon of the affect mass. Specifically, what happens to mass and gravity when it passes through a black hole. The author, I think is interpreting the work of Nikodem Poplawski of Indiana University in Bloomington, as implying that black holes may be like a portal to another universe. I am greatly impressed with how uncertain we are of so many things beyond the realm of the earth. Here is a link to this too brief article: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...082303622.html.

I find speculation like this humbling. The potential of possibilities within one universe was already staggering. Now this author would have us believe that each black hole could lead to another universe.

The final paragraph of the article reads: "Sadly, there is no point in our looking for other universes inside black holes. As you approach a black hole, the increasing gravitational field makes time tick more and more slowly. So, for an external observer, any universe inside would form only after an infinite amount of time had elapsed."

With infinity comes futility. But infinity only applies to something that has measurable mass. I wonder what is the mass of the human spirit or the soul? I have read somewhere that a few people have actually tried to measure the mass of the soul by monitoring the weight of dying people. What was the weight before the moment before death and what was the weight the moment after death? When I read that article, I was unconvinced that they had actually measured anything. And if the soul is pure energy, does energy have mass?

Absolutely mind boggling!

Comment

Working...
        X