Dahesh Villa renovated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dahesh Villa renovated

I was just watching the evening news on Lebanese TV and there was a segment about "National Heritage Day" and apparently Dr Dahesh's villa was renovated and opened to the public today, as well as the nearby villa of Dahesh's arch-ennemy Bechara El Khoury.

On the LBC news segment, they showed the salon of Dr Dahesh's residence with a lot of Dr Dahesh's pictures and books.

Does anybody know what happened precisely ? Apparently, it was Rafic Hariri who bought Bechara El Khoury's villa. But does anybody know who owns Dr Dahesh's place today ?

Is it possible to visit or was it only a one-day-operation ?

Ziyad, I really don't have anything to offer in regard to your inquiry. But, do you know either the street address and neighborhood of Dr Dahesh's former villa? I know that in Daheshville posts somewhere is a link to pictures of the building, but it would be interesting if by looking through public records, we might be able to locate some of the answers to your inquiry. Possibly Mario might have something to add.

Comment

Link

I did locate a link to onformation about a restoration project(s): http://www.meda-corpus.net/arb/fitxe...eng/lb_s02.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by Ziyad View Post
        I was just watching the evening news on Lebanese TV and there was a segment about "National Heritage Day" and apparently Dr Dahesh's villa was renovated and opened to the public today, as well as the nearby villa of Dahesh's arch-ennemy Bechara El Khoury.

On the LBC news segment, they showed the salon of Dr Dahesh's residence with a lot of Dr Dahesh's pictures and books.

Does anybody know what happened precisely ? Apparently, it was Rafic Hariri who bought Bechara El Khoury's villa. But does anybody know who owns Dr Dahesh's place today ?

Is it possible to visit or was it only a one-day-operation ?
        If you have not previously seen these pictures , here is a link:

http://www.daheshville.com/forum/sho...?p=956#post956
        Last edited by Daheshville; 08-30-2022, 01:17 AM.

Comment

If I am not mistaken, it's called Heneine Palace, in Zokak El Blat / Kantari neighborhood

Comment

Originally posted by Seul Loup View Post
            If you have not previously seen these pictures , here is a link:

http://www.daheshville.com/forum/sho...?p=956#post956
            Yes, thank you, this very same salon was featured on tonight's evening news

Comment

Here's an article that was just published about yesterday's National Heritage Day.

http://www.assafir.com/Article.aspx?...نة خالدية

the article has the following two lines about Dahesh, that Mario is probably not going to like because they use the word "alleged prophet"

أبرز معالم المنطقة، يتجلى في أحد وجوه قصر حنينه الذي يعود إلى العام 1880، وهو مصمم بطريقة مختلفة عن أسلوب العمارة اللبنانية التقليدية، أسلوب مستوحى من أحد النبلاء الروس الذين كانوا يقطنون في بيروت! وقد تنقلت ملكية القصر بين أشخاص عديدين، وكان في العام 1940 مركزاً للاجتماعات الروحية لمدّعي النبوة، الدكتور داهش الذي بات له مذهب باسمه

Comment

Forgot to say that the Lebanese Daheshists did a good job and were able to use the National Heritage Day to put Dr Dahesh back in the news. On TV, it seemed that lots of books were on sale at the villa and pictures of Dahesh were all over the place.

Among the books that I noticed were on sale was "Bourouq wa Rou'Oud"

In any case, it was the first time maybe in 40 years that Dr Dahesh's name was mentionned in the evening news. Maybe now they'll start talking about him because they're no longer afraid and feel that daheshim is no longer a threat to Lebanon's sectarian and conservative system.

Comment

Here's an article that was just published about yesterday's National Heritage Day.

http://www.assafir.com/Article.aspx?...نة خالدية

the article has the following two lines about Dahesh, that Mario is probably not going to like because they use the word "alleged prophet"

أبرز معالم المنطقة، يتجلى في أحد وجوه قصر حنينه الذي يعود إلى العام 1880، وهو مصمم بطريقة مختلفة عن أسلوب العمارة اللبنانية التقليدية، أسلوب مستوحى من أحد النبلاء الروس الذين كانوا يقطنون في بيروت! وقد تنقلت ملكية القصر بين أشخاص عديدين، وكان في العام 1940 مركزاً للاجتماعات الروحية لمدّعي النبوة، الدكتور داهش الذي بات له مذهب باسمه
                  Since I don't read or speak Arabic, I had to resort to Google translate to obtain the following:

"One of the highlights of the region is reflected in the face of a nostalgic palace, which dates back to the year 1880. It is designed in a manner different from the traditional Lebanese style architecture and was a style inspired by a noble Russians who were living in Beirut! The ownership of the palace has moved among many persons, and in 1940 it was a center for meetings of the spiritual claimants to Prophet-Hood of Dr. Dahesh, who adhered to his doctrine."

Is this an accurate interpretation? Could there be more than one interpretation of the Arabic? Especially the term that could be interpreted as "alleged". Was there more in the article, other than the statements you included? I think this word "claimants" is a less emotional word than "alleged". It certainly would have been better if they simply said "followers and claimants" which might have better qualified the statement. I think it is difficult for people who are uninitiated or unaware of his significance, to formally acknowledge the beliefs and feelings of others.

Thanks for your efforts.

Comment

Forgot to say that the Lebanese Daheshist did a good job and were able to use the National Heritage Day to put Dr Dahesh back in the news. On TV, it seemed that lots of books were on sale at the villa and pictures of Dahesh were all over the place.

Among the books that I noticed were on sale was "Bourouq wa Rou'Oud"

In any case, it was the first time maybe in 40 years that Dr Dahesh's name was mentioned in the evening news. Maybe now they'll start talking about him because they're no longer afraid and feel that Daheshism is no longer a threat to Lebanon's sectarian and conservative system.
                    I am curious. How many Daheshist would you estimate are still actively adhering to the teachings of Dr Dahesh? Are there still Daheshist Mission Houses where they regularly meet?

I noticed that back in July 2008 you had stated that you hoped they wouldn't demolish the Palace. It appears you got your wish. Was there any mention of who owns the Palace now?

Comment

I used Google to search on "Heneine Palace Zokak El Blat Kantari". I had one hit for the FIA Middle East Ralley Championship. On the document, was what is evidently a sponsor "Bassoul-Heneine - Alpha Romero, BMW, Mini & Renault". I wonder if the name of this dealership two prominent family names?

Comment

Thank you Ziyad for bringing this important bit of news to us.

If I had to take an educated guess, I would say that the house is still a private residence which was open to the public on that day — perhaps a regular stop on what is now (I gather) a tour of that particular neighborhood, which is in turn part of a bigger venue called "Walk Beirut."

I do know that in the past, and as told to me by an eye-witness, one "famous" Daheshist went back to Beirut and met with some people at that House (which is, basically, the Mission House) and told everyone (who, basically, were asking "when are we going to do something?") that "it wasn't the right time..." so on and so forth. And without rehashing the past, let's just say he was speaking on authority of those whose name has been already mentioned enough, and who purposely (for whatever reason) held everyone back.

In other words, the problem was never a lack of desire or initiative on the parts of the Daheshists. It's those "people in charge" that someone will eventually have to have a discussion with.

And, yes, I know... "noooobody knows what they are going through... " Please, spare me that nonsense. Anyone who falls for that old and tired routine has only to revisit what people such as Marie Hadad endured, and, oh, let's not even forget what bloody kind of hell Doctor Dahesh, himself, endured.

And I am sorry I am bringing this up — but all this must placed in it proper context, that being that is didn't have to be this way, that it didn't have to take this long, that all the nonsensical reasons given (way back) and which played on people's fears and took advantage (unwittingly, perhaps) of their DEVOTION to Doctor Dahesh — a devotion "someone" knew pretty DAMN well HOW TO MANIPULATE.

And for what?!

Is today's climate that much safer for Daheshists? I don't think so.

There is never going to be a "right" or "wrong" climate for anything. We must do our duty and leave the rest to GOD Almighty.

Now, as far as the magazine saying that Dr. Dahesh claimed or alleged he was a prophet: I think that — in the context of reporting the news — this is totally fair and expected. Especially that The Trustees themselves, many years ago, publicly disavowed Doctor Dahesh and never recanted their statement.

And since only a very few are speaking of Doctor Dahesh in terms of being a prophet (hence, putting their name, reputation, and jobs on the line), we cannot expect the media — in turn — to even refer to Dr. Dahesh as a "prophet to his own people," because, well, his own people disavowed him.

In other words, a believer on the street can say that Doctor Dahesh is prophet until he is blue in the face. But what can a modest believer do in the face of the mighty organization known as the Dahesh Museum of Art?

In the public's eye, anything that this organization says on behalf of Doctor Dahesh, is the rule.

Seriously, how many people do we know will take the time to really dig for information?

And it doesn' help matters that this organization has perpetuated the notion that Dr. Dahesh is a philosopher, that he was never a prophet, nor that he claimed he was one, and that all those who say he was are lying.

So, in the context of everything that has transpired, and in addition to having to remain as objective as they can be, I find the comment of "Alleged Prophet" totally fair.

I just want to remind certain people that Doctor Dahesh's phone number was published in the old booklets. In other words, anyone had the power to pick up the phone, call the house, and request an appointment to meet with Doctor Dahesh.

So, my first reaction to all this is "better late than never."
                        And maybe this explains the dream I had yesterday (May 20, 2010): I dreamed I was in house with a Daheshist sister (still living) and we were going through a bunch of articles that were destined to redecorate the interior of that house. There was a big event happening... and we were sifting through a large pile of hand-woven carpets that are wall-hung etc.

The wall had large glass openings, which allowed us to see into the large room next door. Everything was white. And apparently, we were in the Doctor's house, because, eventually
                        (in the dream) Doctor Dahesh appeared with a large entourage (we could see them through the glass)... I'll stop here because what later took place in the dream is somewhat personal... In any case, thank you Ziyad for reporting this news.

"Fail, to succeed."

Comment

Possibly Mario might have something to add.
                          Outside of pinpointing the building for you on a map, your guess is probably better than mine. But I am hesitant to do that because I would want to protect the privacy of the people who reside there.
                          Last edited by Daheshville; 05-21-2010, 07:30 PM.
                          "Fail, to succeed."

Comment

Apparently, it was Rafic Hariri who bought Bechara El Khoury's villa
                            Now, that is something I would never recommend to my worst enemy to do.
                            "Fail, to succeed."

Comment

Since I don't read or speak Arabic, I had to resort to Google translate to obtain the following:

"One of the highlights of the region is reflected in the face of a nostalgic palace, which dates back to the year 1880. It is designed in a manner different from the traditional Lebanese style architecture and was a style inspired by a noble Russians who were living in Beirut! The ownership of the palace has moved among many persons, and in 1940 it was a center for meetings of the spiritual claimants to Prophet-Hood of Dr. Dahesh, who adhered to his doctrine."

Is this an accurate interpretation? Could there be more than one interpretation of the Arabic? Especially the term that could be interpreted as "alleged". Was there more in the article, other than the statements you included? I think this word "claimants" is a less emotional word than "alleged". It certainly would have been better if they simply said "followers and claimants" which might have better qualified the statement. I think it is difficult for people who are uninitiated or unaware of his significance, to formally acknowledge the beliefs and feelings of others.

Thanks for your efforts.
                              Well, the arabic expression ""مدّعي النبوة could be translated as "who claimed to be a prophet" or as "the alleged prophet" but I think alleged is more appropriate because other softer words could translate the verb claim.

Comment

Working...
                              X