Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Family of Dr. Dahesh

Hello!
    I've been trying to put together the puzzlepieces of how me and Dr. Dahesh are supposedly related, if at all. Unfortunately there's a lot of disinformation on the web concerning Dr. Dahesh. That is why I'd be glad to hear if anyone here has any knowledge of his family situation.

I have read that his mother's name was Shmouneh. His father's name was Elias Moussa Achi, previously named Al-Achi. The mother of Shmoune was Hanna Murad, and the sister of Shmouneh was named Sayde I believe.

If this is indeed correct, then I do believe Sayde, the aunt of Dr. Dahesh, married a man named Eido, who is my father's grandfather.

The story told by my father is of when his grandfather Eido took the book from Dahesh that made his eyes shine during the night, declaring it a "devilish book", and cast it into the fireplace.

It is then said that Dahesh uttered: "If you had let me fully read the book, I'd have been able to do amazing things such as flying".

I don't know whether or not to believe such an astonishing story, but that is almost all I know of it. My aunt knows much more of this, but I rarely meet her anymore.

So, is there anyone out there that knows anything of his cousins, sisters or direct family?

Thank you!
    Last edited by cryozo; 04-28-2015, 05:57 PM.

Hi sister Antoinette, who was a devout Daheshist, passed away years ago. I knew both her, and her daughter. The last time I saw Antoinette was circa 1984, and her daughter (and her husband) in 1979. I knew also one Doctor Dahesh's cousins... can't remember his name... Dawood maybe... again, it's a blur... but I do remember his physique: slim fellow, mustache... I saw him a few times at the Doctor's house in '79 probably... A couple of his great-great nieces contacted years ago. We had lost touch, then, one of them registered on Daheshville as Honey.

I know there was a nephew in Syria, Youssef I believe... and I heard Antoinette say something about her sister who married an armenian, and ended up in Iraq.

In terms of the story with the book and the light beams, I think it might be retold in the Loutfi Radwan book (The Miracles and Wonders of Dr. Dahesh," circa 1980). I know I've about an instance involving his aunt not wanting him to keep the oil lamp on, and so forth, and then seeing the light beams shoot out of his eyes. That's not a myth (as far as official Daheshist stories go). You might want to check it out.

Anyway, that's all I personally can tell you. Hope that helps.
    "Fail, to succeed."

Comment

Originally posted by Mario View Post
      Hi sister Antoinette, who was a devout Daheshist, passed away years ago. I knew both her, and her daughter. The last time I saw Antoinette was circa 1984, and her daughter (and her husband) in 1979. I knew also one Doctor Dahesh's cousins... can't remember his name... Dawood maybe... again, it's a blur... but I do remember his physique: slim fellow, mustache... I saw him a few times at the Doctor's house in '79 probably... A couple of his great-great nieces contacted years ago. We had lost touch, then, one of them registered on Daheshville as Honey.

I know there was a nephew in Syria, Youssef I believe... and I heard Antoinette say something about her sister who married an armenian, and ended up in Iraq.

In terms of the story with the book and the light beams, I think it might be retold in the Loutfi Radwan book (The Miracles and Wonders of Dr. Dahesh," circa 1980). I know I've about an instance involving his aunt not wanting him to keep the oil lamp on, and so forth, and then seeing the light beams shoot out of his eyes. That's not a myth (as far as official Daheshist stories go). You might want to check it out.

Anyway, that's all I personally can tell you. Hope that helps.
      Thank you for your answer Mario. Do you know of any books which explain his family situation that is available for purchase? If you have any evidence, I would be very interested to perhaps pay for shipping if you have duplicates.

Interesting, Dawoud is my grandfather, he has now passed, but his physique fits well with your description. His name was Dawoud Hannouch, and I believe Youssef Hannouch was Dawoud's cousin. Not Youssef the nephew though, I don't think.

Do you know of Dr. Khabsa, the dentist, I believe he used to visit Dr. Dahesh? My father had received a book from him concerning Dahesh, he must have been a Daheshist?

I am sad to hear that Antoinette has passed away, I believe that my grandmother Rafqa Murad, Dawoud's widow, used to visit her in Lebanon when she would visit the country. We now live in Sweden.
      Last edited by cryozo; 03-04-2015, 12:40 AM.

Comment

You're welcome.

You know, it's very possible I got some names mixed up. I'm getting older myself, plus (and currently) I'm physically unable to rummage, as it were, through my old hard drives, and (physical) books.

For example, I just remembered that this Youssef (who might not be called Youssef after all) sent an email, with some pictures to Dahesh.org, a few years back. Among these pictures, a scan of a hand-written letter by Doctor Dahesh to his mother. It's beautiful. But I'm not able to access it from where I'm located at the moment, and it be months before I'm able to do that.

Now, while looking for something else on Daheshville, I stumbled upon this entry from 2008 (it's only available to members). It seems I had listened to an audio recording of Antoinette's and jotted down a quick summary (here's a quick overview of the family members:

The Doctor had the following siblings:

Jameeleh
        Sabat
        Wadi3at
        Antoinette

Then there were 4 other younger siblings who died. Antoinette did not remember who came first...

Among them, 2 Brothers:
        David (suffered an injury, died from gangrene)

Noah died due to illness.

2 TWIN daughters: Esther and Ruth. One died from an accident. The other was sick.

Interesting fact about Jameeleh and Wadee3ah. According to Antoinette, both were beautiful, and Wadee3at was (again, I quoted Antoinette) stunning.

She was a nurse at some point.

Apparently, she hated the Armenians.

Used to say "Even if the king of the Armenians came to ask my hand in Marriage, I would not marry an Armenian."

Guess what happened...

That's right; she married an Armenian. I believe his name was Pilar ( I have re-check) who worked in customs, and his uncle had a pharmacy.

This happened in Iraq.
        "Fail, to succeed."

Comment

I was astonoshed enough that you remembered my grandfather's name Dawoud, if indeed we're talking about the same person. I sent you a private message with a photo of him, I think we're talking about the same man.

I thank you also for the information on his siblings that I did not know of. I knew of Elisabat, Wadiaa, Jamileh and Antoinette but not of the others.

I would love to see the photos you have of him and of those close to him. I sincerely hope that you will regain your well-being soon enough!

I'm sure you would have mentioned it by now, but you're not related to Dr. Dahesh through family, correct?

Comment

Thanks for the picture. Looks very familiar... I think we're talking about the same person. Keep in mind, I saw him last in 79, and I'm 55... Oh, and I'm sorry I gave you the wrong impression: I'm physically located far away from the archives (thousands of miles away, as a matter of fact.

In terms of pictures, I believe I put some in the members' section — and they're probably plastered with the Daheshville bookmark, which is something we had to do.

By the way, you mentioned Dr. Khabsa. Yes, I know of him a lot. He was Doctor Dahesh's closest and dearest friend. I believe he passed away around 1969. I met him once (I was very young).

And as regards the last question, you are correct, I'm not related to Doctor Dahesh.
            "Fail, to succeed."

Comment

Originally posted by Mario View Post
              Thanks for the picture. Looks very familiar... I think we're talking about the same person. Keep in mind, I saw him last in 79, and I'm 55... Oh, and I'm sorry I gave you the wrong impression: I'm physically located far away from the archives (thousands of miles away, as a matter of fact.

In terms of pictures, I believe I put some in the members' section — and they're probably plastered with the Daheshville bookmark, which is something we had to do.

By the way, you mentioned Dr. Khabsa. Yes, I know of him a lot. He was Doctor Dahesh's closest and dearest friend. I believe he passed away around 1969. I met him once (I was very young).

And as regards the last question, you are correct, I'm not related to Doctor Dahesh.
              Well, I'm glad it wasn't the case that you were ill! Have you planned to retrieve the files in the near future?

I will look through the member's section.

My father also met Dr. Khabsa as a child, as I stated. Interestingly enough, he's very close to your age too. You might have met, since he would sometimes visit Dr. Dahesh as well.

Comment

Originally posted by cryozo View Post
                Well, I'm glad it wasn't the case that you were ill! Have you planned to retrieve the files in the near future?
                Me too! As for retrieval of the files, it might be 5 to 6 months before I'm able to get to them — a lot has happened in the last 7 years; unfortunately, it can't be helped.

Originally posted by cryozo View Post
                My father also met Dr. Khabsa as a child, as I stated. Interestingly enough, he's very close to your age too. You might have met, since he would sometimes visit Dr. Dahesh as well.
                Possible... But I definitely remember your grandfather. And that photo you sent me clinched it for me.
                "Fail, to succeed."

Comment

After having spoken to some distant relatives, I believe Dr. Dahesh's mother Shmoune was my paternal great grandfather's sister.

Shmoune was apparently born as Shmoune, the daughter of Hanna Murad (Hanna is a male name, Assyrian version of Johannes), the son of Murad. Shmoune had two brothers (as far as I know) by the names of Murad and Eido. Eido being my paternal great grandfather.

Hanna Murad, Shmoune, and that side of the family were from Azakh, or Beth-Zebday, an Assyrian village in modern-day Turkey. I've read that Dr. Dahesh's father Moussa Achi and his father (Dahesh's paternal grandfather) Elias Achi were from Isfis, nortwest of Azakh. Their original surname was to have been "Aleshi", but later changed for reasons I don't know. Some claim a Jewish background, but I doubt there is any truth to that since Shmoune's family (my side) were all Assyrians.

Meaning Dr. Dahesh is my father's father's father's sister's son (first cousin twice removed).

Also, I sent a message to "Honey", but she didn't answer, perhaps she's left this site, unfortunately it's quite inactive and the registration has been deactivated. Do you know any other way I might be able to contact her?
                  Last edited by cryozo; 04-23-2015, 11:17 AM.

Comment

That's great that you were able to trace back your connection to Doctor Dahesh. Yes, not sure about the link to Judaism. I've read that the father had converted to protestantism. If memory serves me, "Aleshi" was a malapropism of Elijah ... not sure... But it it used to be "Al Achi," and became officially "Achi." (I have documents signed by Doctor Dahesh — canceled checks — proving it).

As to the matter of "Honey." Probably that's because the user did not update their email/contact address. And I'm afraid I don't have any other way of contacting that member.
                    "Fail, to succeed."

Comment

Al-Achi means "the cook", I believe. In Isfis (not Ephesus) where his father came from, in the 1900's they spoke an obscure form of North Mesopotamian Arabic, strongly influenced by Kurdish, Neo-Aramaic and other nearby languages. Some did speak Turoyo and other Neo-Aramaic vernaculars however, but in Azakh (Dahesh's mothers village), few did.

It's very possible that "Al-Achi" could be his father's real surname, especially since you possess evidence, I'll consider it more valid than "Aleshi" then!

I may have already asked this, but you don't have the contact info to any other individual who may know more of his family? (That you would be willing to give me).

Perhaps I should contact the Dahesh Museum of Art in New York as a last resort, though I've heard they rarely ever mention Dahesh anymore, perhaps they wish to move away from that part of the museums heritage for some reason.

Comment

True, it means "cook" in Lebanese. And for as long as I could remember, I went on this assumption; I think I might've mentioned that years ago on DV. But I don't know what I read, and where, that described what I seem to vaguely remember. So, go figure! For what it's worth his legal name was Salim Moussa Achi, and he signed Salim Achi. You can see the cancelled checks I offered as evidence: http://www.daheshville.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80

As to the matter of providing you with contact information: I'm afraid I don't have any information.
                        "Fail, to succeed."

Comment

I found a very old book, with a reference to my great grandfather Eido, and a picture with him and Dahesh. It says that he is Dahesh's uncle, thus I've got the evidence I need. I can send you the photo if you'd like. I was very pleased to find it! As I believe you may not have seen it before.

Comment

Congrats on your findings!

How does that change matters for you (for those of us who could never be in your shoes, and relate first-hand), now that you've found this information? On that front, could you cite the book's title, and publisher?
                            "Fail, to succeed."

Comment

Yes its great and beautiful for a person to to have kinship with the guiding beloved prophet.
                              May God bless you, and strengthen all people who keep to his blessed teachings. Amen.

Comment

Working...
                              X