Farewell "John Doe # 001"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Farewell "John Doe # 001"

It is one thing for a non-Daheshist to sneak into Daheshville just a like a thief in the night and remove every post he or she posted, thus leaving a huge gap in many threads and essentially committing vandalism.

Anyone who does that clearly has no regard for others and thinks he or she is better than they are.

We've already have that happen to us... Over 100 posts removed by a member (who is still a member, by the way... just to show you how far we go as far as being democratic)

But, when a supposed Daheshist (who personally showered me with things such as "Brotherly Love" and other sorted compliments) attempts to remove over 30 of his posts, his Avatar, his Friends Links— everything... Including the words where he expressed brotherly love... basically in a clear attempt to immediately put as much distance between himself and Daheshville... thinking he will not leave a trace... poetic justice sometimes shows up unannounced.

Well, sadly, this man was able to remove everything.

Except... And call it an incredible coincidence... right before that man began deleting his posts (and later asked to have his subscription removed... perhaps because he couldn't do it himself) the Administrator, who, for some ODD and INEXPLICABLE reason, decided to CELEBRATE every one of his posts by quoting it completely and thanking him personally!

The result?

Democracy in in Action.

"John Doe # 001" (that is now his name... ) got what he wanted: he exercised his freedom of choice.

And so did ( apparently) the Administrator.

Incidentally, the record will show that the posts were Quoted BEFORE the original (and complete) messages were either destroyed or deleted.

Wow... what are the ODDS that something like that should ever happen?!
    Last edited by Daheshville; 08-11-2008, 01:04 PM.
    "Fail, to succeed."

Democracy in action it is. I have spend my time and read all the post that were posted, and still couldn’t find any logical reasonable elucidation for a person that wrote all that to perform something this way.
    I really admire daheshville for the amount of transparency and honest lucidity that was shown. I have seen a lot of communities on the internet and even blog’s that doesn’t ever allow you to remove your comments or thread but you can disable your account which is fair enough not to create gaps in the threads which will be inconvenient for others.
    So I guess daheshville should adopt that policy that permit users from disabling there accounts but never removing the threads.

Comment

For the record, I received a lengthy private message from this person 48 hours ago. I was about to respond to him / her when I found out he /she was no longer a member.

The message was a passionate praise of Dr Brax. He or she felt that some things were said that were unfair to Brax.

I don't know who it is, but I had the feeling that the author or authoress was very close to Brax.

Comment

Thank you Chad, truly!

In terms of allowing people to remove their own subscription, we'll have to look into this matter. In the meantime, and by default, when we grant people the freedom to edit their posts at will, regardless of how much time has elapsed, we are also granting them the right to erase the content of the messages. So, the dilemma is to either grant everyone that right to edit/erase or not to.

At one point, we thought long and hard about it and decided that we do not wish to keep anyone here against their own will.

What he also need to take into consideration is the intent and bend the rules sometimes. For example, if that person contacted me directly instead of going behind my back (which is totally against what he/she wrote in one post, and I quote: "but the behind the doors conflicts between brother and shunning can harm Daheshism beyond imagination") we might have worked something out.

Where I am concerned, I am not involved in any "behind the doors" anything. If I have an issue with anyone, especially if that someone and I are part of the same "house" (in this case, Daheshville) then I speak to them directly.

Now, as far as bending the rules, had he/she come to me, I assure you we would have worked out a solution. Case in point, one time I posted an angry message in response to my own brother attacking David in his book.

Right after I posted that message, a esteemed Daheshvillian posted a very angry response, which I immediately quoted and responded to.

Now, as it turned out, right after he posted his message, he thought about it and removed his post.

Unfortunately for him ( at the time) his post was still QUOTED in my response.

When I saw that he removed his post I felt I had the moral duty to remove my reply and the quote. Otherwise, I would have punished him unfairly.

On the other hand, when another "Brother" came to me and tried to "sweet talk" me into removing both our posts because he did not want the world to see that Daheshists have arguments, I totally refused to erase mine. On the contrary, I felt that the world needed to see that Daheshists are just like everyone else. They fight as well as resolve their differences--which is exactly what he and I did in public.

And here, we come to how the WEST thinks versus the EAST. The Daheshists in Lebanon and the Middle East need to remember that Daheshville is AMERICAN country. What may seem shocking to them is perfectly normal, if not expected, by others whose culture is different than theirs.

Dear Ziyad:

Thank you for sharing with us this important information.

Because that person's request (for removal) was immediately fulfilled, even the Administrator could not follow up with an email confirmation.

And that is why you were not able to respond to him/her.

By the way, before he/she began removing the posts etc. (and after the Administrator diligently responded to over 30 posts...) another member called "SEEKER" posted a similar request in the public forum (you can see the request and the Administrator's response in the "Conversation" area...)

We will never know why "Seeker" (who never posted any messages, and hence is totally anonymous) asked to be removed literally before "John Doe."
        Last edited by Mario; 08-12-2008, 03:50 PM.
        "Fail, to succeed."

Comment

(Belated) Breaking News

On October 2, 2011, I received a letter from "John Doe #001" in which he expressed the "deepest regrets" for having erased his messages, as a means of expressing one's opinions.

What proceeded was a constructive exchange leading to his accepting Daheshville's offer to restore all the erased messages, as well as his original account.

I reiterated that this comes with no strings attached as far as further participation is concerned.

On that front, I would like to remind everyone that we have indefinitely closed access to any new registrations. The downside of being popular as a forum is being a magnet for spammers. Hence, anyone wishing to become a member — and have privileged access to information only available in the members' section — must send a letter to the Administrator, or myself directly. And I don't care if you are here to support or spy. Even spies can be turned around. However, spammers have no room here.

And lastly, please consider that Daheshville is a platform that can give you a means to publish your opinions (whatever they may be, provided you frame them in the context of Daheshism, preferably addressing a particular thread or post that has already been published) and, most importantly, it can give you a means to establish yourself as a contact point.

In other words: If you are a Daheshist and wish to promote the ideas of Doctor Dahesh, you will need to have a very good reason — knowing what you now know — for not joining the discussion, at least ONCE.
          Especially that you can publicly publish (if you so wish) your contact information.
          "Fail, to succeed."

Comment

Letter from john doe#1

Dear Mario,

this email is meant to express the deepest regrets for the hamalayan blunder commited by erasing my quotes on www.Daheshville.com.

I sincerely hope that the inconvenience caused by my actions would be forgiven.

I believe that this letter is puzzling since the actions taken, that are not nearly a good way to support my views, seemed to come from a stern belief in their correctness.

This letter is meant to confirm that my actions were never against your person or any Daheshvillian.

They were wrongful methods bearing disapproval to topics published.

Since the topics published are not the subject of this letter, yet my regret for my actions is, let me say that, knowing that action cannot be undone, given a second chance i would have reacted differently.

Why am i to declare these thoughts?

Why am i to share my regrets?

Disapproval for the others' thoughts does not justify harmful behavior.

I believe that my decision to erase a quote in a chain was harmful.

This was disrespectful behavior towards generous minds that shared time and capacity, even if contradictory when seen from certain viewpoints.

Dear Mario,

this letter is dated three years after the above took place.

Since better late than never, humbly consider that i readily confess my shortcoming.

Samer Haddad

Comment

Originally posted by samer el haddad View Post
              Dear Mario,

this email is meant to express the deepest regrets for the hamalayan blunder commited by erasing my quotes on www.Daheshville.com.

I sincerely hope that the inconvenience caused by my actions would be forgiven.

I believe that this letter is puzzling since the actions taken, that are not nearly a good way to support my views, seemed to come from a stern belief in their correctness.

This letter is meant to confirm that my actions were never against your person or any Daheshvillian.

They were wrongful methods bearing disapproval to topics published.

Since the topics published are not the subject of this letter, yet my regret for my actions is, let me say that, knowing that action cannot be undone, given a second chance i would have reacted differently.

Why am i to declare these thoughts?

Why am i to share my regrets?

Disapproval for the others' thoughts does not justify harmful behavior.

I believe that my decision to erase a quote in a chain was harmful.

This was disrespectful behavior towards generous minds that shared time and capacity, even if contradictory when seen from certain viewpoints.

Dear Mario,

this letter is dated three years after the above took place.

Since better late than never, humbly consider that i readily confess my shortcoming.

Samer Haddad
              It is great to see you back Samer.
              I really admire your courage.
              Thank you for your words. They mean a lot to all of us.

Sandrine

Comment

Hi Samer: I respect your stepping forward after a long re-evaluation.

I hope all is well with you in your life.

All the best,
                David

Comment

Working...
                X