Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Consumer Paradox: Scientists Find that Low Self-Esteem and Materialism Goes Hand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Consumer Paradox: Scientists Find that Low Self-Esteem and Materialism Goes Hand

A great article illustrating studies comparing the degree of happiness with the degree of materialism:

I have always been a pack rat, but I have this voice that seems to often say to me, "Go through and give away." Actually, it is my mom's voice that says, "Go through and get rid." I cannot afford to buy much, but already have more than my 3 room half-a-trailer can handle. I have had to get rid of much due to moving often.

One thing I think that attributes a lot to unhappiness is certain types of media, mainly that of a violent, sensual, and degrading nature. Why? Well, when we willingly read books, watch movies, listen to music, and play video games, that exhibit these things, it distances our souls from where God is. It lowers our vibration. The Spirit of the Lord will not stay with us. It does not want to stay where it is very uncomfortable. God is the source of Happiness and the closer we come to his rays of sunshine, the happier we are and the more we grow in love and wisdom. The further away our minds and hearts are, the more we wilt, feel lonely, depressed, angry, twisted, etc.

Once I thought that scary, violent, or sensual movies, violent video games, bad music, etc. couldn't hurt or affect me, but then I became aware of the harmful spirits that come and attach themselves to this type of media and to the people who engage in it. Often when I go to Walmart and browse around the media section, I start feeling uncomfortable and sometimes I even feel pain. Sometimes, if I pick up a DVD or video game or something, I feel things start to wrap themselves around my hand and arm. I quickly put the DVD or game down and start praying and shake my arm in hopes to dislodge whatever it is I am feeling. Needless to say, I'm not a fan of Halloween anymore.

Apparently, I'm not alone in this type of experience. I've read Salim Ombargi's book, Born Again With Dr. Dahesh and Chapter XIV talks a lot about Dr. Dahesh sensing Spiritual Sayyals in everything. This passage especially stood out to me on pages 163-164:

"As I began to browse through the shops, a beautiful brown tweed suit made in Italy caught my eye. It was of good quality and I decided to try it on. Unfortunately, it was too small and I asked the sales man in the shop if he had the exact suit in a larger size. He did not and informed me that the suit was the last of its kind. As it was a good buy, I decided to buy it for my brother Ali who was a bit shorter than I.

The salesman wrapped the suit up for me and put it in a box. He placed the box in a large brown paper bag and handed it to me. From there, I took a taxi and returned to the hotel where I went straight up to the room. The door was slightly opened and before entering I knocked to et the Doctor know that I was coming in. He was sitting at the table, busy writing. The moment he saw me he said: 'I wish you had not bought that suit; it has bad spiritual Sayals. Anyhow, it is too late to do anything about it now, except to burn this special Ramz I made for you.' He instructed me to say, 'In the Name of God, and His Beloved Prophet, may the bad Sayals in this suit be harmless.' Incidentally when I went to the market, it was not my intention to buy a suit. The thought did not come into my mind until I saw that tweed suit on display.

I was truly amazed at this revelation which proves that even a suit can contain bad Sayals. That spiritual revelation proved beyond any doubt that the spiritual Sayals are found in all forms and objects.

Two days later, still being in Tripoli, Libya, the Doctor and I decided to go to the main shopping center. This time it was he who admired a suit on display. We went inside the store and I asked the man to bring a suit like the one Doctor Dahesh admired, but in his size. The man went and came back with a suit which he handed me. The Doctor took off the jacket he was wearing to try on the suit, but no sooner had I put the new suit jacket on him when he began to twitch all over. He quickly shouted at me, as if though he was in pain: 'Take the jacket off me immediately, it contains horrible Sayals.' He left the shop in a hurry. I gave the suit back to the man who was standing with us and he did not understand a thing of what was happening, nor why we quickly went away."

Salim also mentions objects they encounter that have good Sayyals, such as two avocados they eat and a certain necklace.

We have a lot of media in the LDS church that invites the Spirit of the Lord and can leave one happier with a greater sense to do good, be kind to others and have greater faith in Jesus Christ. Different places and buildings have good or bad spirits hanging around depending on the activities that take place in the area and its history. Places and buildings can be blessed and made a holy sanctuary, such as temples, places of worship, homes, or even land. LDS Prophets and Apostles do many such building and land dedications and husbands and fathers who have the Melchizedek Priesthood may bless their homes.

On page 165, Salim states, "The Doctor criticized America for its excessive materialism and yet praised it wholeheartedly for its love of democracy and freedom." As an American with much stuff I don't need, I have reason to repent. I need to keep reminding myself that I will be happier and better able to focus on my life's mission without it.

There was a family in my church who was moving away with the father being in the military. The husband and wife spoke to the congregation on Sunday and the husband talked about wondering what to do with all their stuff. They said to themselves, "Wouldn't it be wonderful if we just gave it away?" and decided to put it on their front lawn with a sign that said "FREE". Several people stopped by saying that they were in need of this or that and others even brought over food to the family in recompense. They had made some new friends. Many were blessed, but the husband said he felt his family was blessed the most.

Something I am trying to understand is that it is said in Daheshism that the higher you go in the worlds of Paradise, the increasingly materialistic the worlds become. Maybe I don't understand the meaning of "materialistic" in this case. What I imagine these worlds to be like is that it becomes closer and closer to the world of spirit, where one can create readily just by thinking something into being. When thinking about these worlds, these scriptures comes to mind:

"In my Father’s house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you." (John 14:2)

also

"Let not your hearts be troubled; for in my Father’s house are many mansions, and I have prepared a place for you; and where my Father and I am, there ye shall be also."
    (Doctrine & Covenants 98:18)

Here is another that I think relates:

"Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal: For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also."
    (Matthew 6:19-21)

Apparently in the upper worlds, no one has any desire to break through and steal - thus, their meriting to live in the upper worlds. How does one lay up treasures in Heaven? This is what I think it means:

"Remember the worth of souls is great in the sight of God; For, behold, the Lord your Redeemer suffered death in the flesh; wherefore he suffered the pain of all men, that all men might repent and come unto him. And he hath risen again from the dead, that he might bring all men unto him, on conditions of repentance. And how great is his joy in the soul that repenteth! Therefore, you are called to cry repentance unto this people. And if it so be that you should labor all your days in crying repentance unto this people, and bring, save it be one soul unto me, how great shall be your joy with him in the kingdom of my Father! And now, if your joy will be great with one soul that you have brought unto me into the kingdom of my Father, how great will be your joy if you should bring many souls unto me!" (Doctrine & Covenants 18:10-16)

Matthew 6:25-34 is a great read with the Lord Jesus Christ speaking about materialism vs. faith and trust in God.
    Last edited by WingedPaladin; 11-15-2007, 06:45 AM.

There is no such thing as "Sayyals" in Arabic. The correct term is "Sayyaalaat", which is the plural of "Sayyal" (Fluid).

Please resist the temptation to follow others' bad example by "Americanizing" Arabic words...
    That word does not exist in Arabic—nor in English for that matter.

Historically, the Trustees published "Lights Upon Dr. Dahesh and Daheshim" in 1986 by Dr. Ghazi Brax. That book refers to "FLUIDS" and "SPIRITUAL FLUIDS."

Then, the term "Sayal" appeared for the first time in Salim's book which the Trustees published. That book was published in 1993.

Perhaps the term "Sayal" was introduced as a means to "Americanize" the concept. Perhaps it was due to the fear people might be offended by the term "Fluid" and associate Daheshism with cultism.

Then in 1996 the Trustees — the people who published Salim's book — authorized the release of this official statement:

"The fact is, these people (Daheshists) that's what they say. He never proclaimed himself anything, not a prophet, not a reincarnation. He never claimed anything that people are claiming for him. He was born a Christian, and he must have been very charismatic."
    Last edited by Daheshville; 11-15-2007, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WingedPaladin View Post
      I was truly amazed at this revelation which proves that even a suit can contain bad Sayals. That spiritual revelation proved beyond any doubt that the spiritual Sayals are found in all forms and objects.

Two days later, still being in Tripoli, Libya, the Doctor and I decided to go to the main shopping center. This time it was he who admired a suit on display. We went inside the store and I asked the man to bring a suit like the one Doctor Dahesh admired, but in his size. The man went and came back with a suit which he handed me. The Doctor took off the jacket he was wearing to try on the suit, but no sooner had I put the new suit jacket on him when he began to twitch all over. He quickly shouted at me, as if though he was in pain: 'Take the jacket off me immediately, it contains horrible Sayals.' He left the shop in a hurry. I gave the suit back to the man who was standing with us and he did not understand a thing of what was happening, nor why we quickly went away."[/I]

Salim also mentions objects they encounter that have good Sayyals, such as two avocados they eat and a certain necklace.
      Winged, it is indeed truly amazing what this story conveys: EVERYTHING MATTERS~! What is extraordinary is how what we might consider to be such inconsequential minutiae, in fact affects us right down to the smallest spiritual level. This ties in to that in Daheshism, we believe that spiritual fluids (essences) are the true fundamental building blocks of all things... all of these spiritual fluids have specific properties of being primary and secondary fluids, (sort of a hierarchy of their various "importances" or rather potency or strength of their affect)... They also have what we would call by the differentiation as essentially "good" fluids and "bad" fluids.

All of these fluids within us interact with all the fluids in all the things around us. Fluids are even in conflict within ourselves sometimes! These fluids affect and determine our intelligence, our reasoning, our talents, our strengths and our weaknesses. Spiritual fluids determine these same traits in all the things around us. This occurs in what we consider the 'physical' realm and emotional realm, as well as the realm of our thoughts, our intentions, our motivations... and well, actually, EVERYTHING... as such, there really is no 'physical' realm. We truly are spiritual beings having a physical experience.

Comment

As an American english only speaker...I have always preferred the non mix of languages... the one caveat that I can understand, is that a lot of the terms in the sciences and inventions and finance have terms that were created in English and as such really don't have another language equivalent.

The term "sayyal" in Arabic translates quite literally as "fluid" in English. To pluralize "fluid", obviously we just add an "s", as "fluids". As has been pointed out, adding the English "s" to "sayyal" does not pluralize it... in fact it makes it in to a word that simply does not exist in any language.

I think we all hold language and its great specificity in high regard. I think that the visual and evocative elegance of "spiritual fluids" in the English language is quite clear as well as poetic in its concept. I intellectually understand that Dr. Dahesh, in his writings and teachings, used the words sayyal and sayyaalaat.... it seems very clear that from those in the know and from published translations, that the English words "fluid" and "fluids" truly capture the essence and sincere meaning of sayyal and sayyaalaat.

I can live with that...

Comment

A few questions

I'm sorry to irk or offend by my incorrect usage, but would writing the plural of "Sayyal" as "Sayyals" or "Sayals" instead of "Sayyaalaat" when speaking English prevent Salim, me, or anyone else from reaching the higher worlds? I imagine there will be many others beside me who have little or no concept of Arabic grammar who will make the same mistake.

Every time I hear the term "spiritual fluid" I think of bodily fluids like blood plasma. Looking up "fluid" in the WordWeb dictionary, helps me to come to terms with the meaning of "fluid" in this case:

1. Subject to change; variable
          2. Characteristic of a fluid; capable of flowing and easily changing shape
          3. Smooth and unconstrained in movement

Thus with this definition in mind instead of the synonym "liquid", the term "fluid" makes more sense to me when put in a spiritual context.

On a side note, did Dr. Dahesh himself institute the requirement of writing the Holy Symbol in Arabic rather than any other language, or was this requirement instituted by his Arabic speaking followers after his death?
          Last edited by WingedPaladin; 11-16-2007, 05:37 PM.

Comment

I'm sorry to irk or offend by my incorrect usage, but would writing the plural of "Sayyal" as "Sayyals" or "Sayals" instead of "Sayyaalaat" when speaking English prevent Salim, me, or anyone else from reaching the higher worlds? I imagine there will be many others beside me who have little or no concept of Arabic grammar who will make the same mistake.
            Dear Winged Paladin,

I find your question impossible to answer on the grounds that none of us here is a prophet nor privy to such information of cosmic proportions.

Neither does any one of us know the consequences based solely on using such an important pillar of Daheshist belief in a manner you speak of.

This has to do with trying to maintaining a particular tradition and to prevent little things from leading to big problems.

Doctor Dahesh, as I have shared in other posts, frowned upon mixing languages. Salim, God bless his soul, did what he felt was right.
            What he wrote is now part of history. If I was to quote him, I would quote him literally and not alter one word — even though I disagree with the usage.

I can only give you the benefit of my knowledge and intuition.

But might there be a deeper issue at the root of the problem?

When you alluded to the fact that "Fluids" conjures up images of "Bodily Fluids" I recognized a familiar foe: fear—plain and simple.
            Footnote: Do you know how many innocent words in English conjure up vile images in Arabic? So what? Are you going to pick and choose which words you use because some people cannot control their thoughts or behave as adults should?
            Basically, calling it "Sayyaal" avoids embarrassment.

If that is the reason anyone chooses not to say or write "Fluid" then, yes, I would be inclined to think that it will have an effect (to what degree, I don't know) upon that particular spiritual fluid and perhaps prevent it from rising.

In fact, that Spiritual Fluid might have to come back and be re-tested, over, and over, until the Fluid "rises" to the challenge.

Daheshists believe in Spiritual Fluids. They speak in terms of Spiritual Fluids. It may sound revolting to some.

But I don't see the name "Sperm Whale" removed from the books!

Thank you for reading,

Mario
            "Fail, to succeed."

Comment

On a side note, did Dr. Dahesh himself institute the requirement of writing the Holy Symbol in Arabic rather than any other language, or was this requirement instituted by his Arabic speaking followers after his death?
              If yes, then Ghazi Brax would have said so the night David Johnson signed his name in Arabic. Please refer to David's past post.
              "Fail, to succeed."

Comment

Why would I be afraid or embarrassed of bodily fluids? What I am trying to illustrate is that the idea of fluid in being as a liquid is not quite what I have experienced when it comes to spirit and thus one can get an incorrect perception with that definition in mind. That is the definition I had in mind reading "spiritual fluid" and so it sounded strange to me. It was more natural for me to say "Sayyal" or just "spirit". "Fluid" as being something in motion and changeable is much more accurate to explaining the nature of the spirit from what I have experienced.

What I am trying pointing out in my question is which is truly more vitally important in the eternal perspective: the message of Dr. Dahesh or grammar and language rules?

In my experience, have not known God to be privy to only one language. I do however know that ideas can be better expressed in one language than another as many languages are culturally based and the vocabulary and even grammar are intrinsically integrated with the values of the culture(s) from which the languages stem.

I come from a religious culture where language is not restricted and scripture, ordinances, and information are translated into several different languages and rather quickly.
                See an example

If grammar and language rules become more important, I can see how it will turn many off towards the message of Dr. Dahesh. What do Daheshists really want, Daheshism to grow or exclusivity due to the requirement of being able to perfectly read, write, and understand Arabic?
                Last edited by WingedPaladin; 11-16-2007, 08:55 PM.

Comment

Why would I be afraid or embarrassed of bodily fluids? What I am trying to illustrate is that the idea of fluid in being as a liquid is not quite what I have experienced when it comes to spirit and thus one can get an incorrect perception with that definition in mind. That is the definition I had in mind reading "spiritual fluid" and so it sounded strange to me so it was more natural for me to say "Sayyal" or just "spirit". "Fluid" as being something in motion and changeable is much more accurate to explaining the nature of the spirit from what I have experienced.

What I am trying pointing out in my question is which is truly more vitally important in the eternal perspective: the message of Dr. Dahesh or grammar and language rules?

In my experience, have not known God to be privy to only one language. I do however know that ideas can be better expressed in one language than another as many languages are culturally based and the vocabulary and even grammar are intrinsically integrated with the values of the culture(s) from which the language stems.

I come from a religious culture where language is not restricted and scripture, ordinances, and information are translated into several different languages and rather quickly. See an example

If grammar and language rules become more important, I can see how it will turn many off towards the message of Dr. Dahesh. What do Daheshists really want, Daheshism to grow or exclusivity due to the requirement of being able to perfectly read, write, and understand Arabic?
                  Fine, perhaps the reference to "Fluids" had to do with "The Ether."

That being said, perhaps it is an outdated reference.

The solution, therefore, is to brainstorm and create a new and appropriate word in English, instead of butchering Arabic.

In other words, you're using Sayyaal because Fluids does not illustrate your vision (nor is it perhaps current and up to date — although, I will tell you that Brother Ali even used that term. So, in a way, it is symbolic and... "Grandfathered") but by saying "Sayyaal" you're effectively saying the exact same thing as Fluid...so... I fail to see the advantage.

But, don't we use many terms in science that are outdated? For example... Those in the know understand that there is no such thing as a "Force" acting upon a body which causes it to accelerate toward the Earth.

Am I not correct? Isn't the "reality" such that the body has to accelerate in order to compensate for the fact it entered a zone where time is slower...?

Despite the Relativistic point of view, we still adhere to the Newtonian model when dealing with the normal, everyday events.

But the Doctor himself, as well as Brother Ali, used "Fluid."

Perhaps in Arabic it retains its charm and beauty (and, it is rather poetic in Arabic) and that's OK when used in Arabic. Perhaps there is no harm if English speaking individuals created a new ENGLISH term that correctly reflects all the nuances in "Sayyaal"

What, you think I didn't try? Please... remember I am pushing 50 and I thought about this business of making Daheshism "accessible" to "America" for years. Did I point out that David and I are still the only 2 individuals who gave lectures about Daheshism in the USA...at M.I.T. of all places?

The result of all my pondering was that I came back to "Fluid"

To me, anything that is "Fluid" is able to assume any shape... to curve... etc...

Some physicists use "Brane" which ... frankly... I find ... Strange... but... hey... I am not a Noble Prize winner. Nor a prophet for that matter and I would (me, personally that is) think twice before trying to fix something that isn't broken. On that note, let's discuss the grammatical rules...

Certain grammatical and language rules are key. But that does not mean there is no leeway.

I've shown you already that you have many ways of writing the same thing.

In other words, and just as when each person has signature handwriting in English, you should be able to express your individuality in Arabic as well.

Plus, you don't have to write the diacritics...

However, I don't recommend altering the grammar at its core.

In other words, look... you feel that strongly about mixing languages? Fine, then I recommend you say and write "Sayyaalaat" ... (actually, it's Sayyaal also... and not Sayyal... right? You've seen the movie and I am sure you would agree).

Now, back to the rules...

I can't tell you why.

I have a theory and I think I've posted numerous messages in which I spoke of the Symbol as a beacon and that the Prayer is sent via light which has to travel through the "noise" of God knows how many other dimensions.

Perhaps, just perhaps, there are "hackers" hiding within these dimensions that love to mess with your signal.

Perhaps, just perhaps, the instructions we got from the Doctor (and I repeat, he instructed me to keep doing the prayer as I have always been doing it) are meant to safeguard the messages.

Perhaps, just perhaps, English speaking individuals have to go that extra step in order to perform a prayer as a rite of passage.

Is is not as if anyone is asking anybody to learn the whole language... or the Symbol... or become Daheshists for that matter.

However, anybody who comes and knocks on our doors with a genuine desire to learn, we'll teach them. That is our VOW.
                  As such, we're willing to provide you with ample educational material to see that you get there — at no cost and with no strings attached. It is going to take time and patience.

And I do appreciate your concern about the future of Daheshism.

But I stand firmly by my opinions and the educational movies will continue and they have been and solutions will be worked out anytime we come to a hurdle.

Good night

Mario
                  Last edited by Mario; 11-16-2007, 09:55 PM.
                  "Fail, to succeed."

Comment

No one is offended by the querry of "why this?" or "why that?"... many have asked these very questions as well as many of the questions I am sure you will come to as you read and think about Daheshism more and more. All that we can do is answer the questions to the point of how we know and understand the "truth" and the facts to be.

Is "fluid" a term that you are uneasy with? Ok, I can understand that. However, that is the closest translation to the Arabic. In my previous post I put "essence" in parenthesis... to imply that "spiritual essence" is close to the idea of "spiritual fluid"... BUT it is not a direct or as honest of a translation as "spiritual fluid" is. None of this was meant to be easy. If people are "turned off" by the concept of this word or that word, what is to be done? Our mandate is to hold as true to the original wording (and as follows, the meaning) of the teachings of Dr. Dahesh. If each issue that came up that either offended someone, or gee, if only this word were used instead of that word, the teachings would be more pallatable.... well, just exactly where does that road end?

We, and I mean all of us...are in a very unique situation in that other than hearing Dr. Dahesh speak directly, (something of which I never had the pleasure of....) we do have the opportunity to read his words directly in what he meant, nuance by nuance in Arabic. Dr. Dahesh did not mince words. Now, I cannot read Arabic... the only writings in English that I have read of his have have either been translated in the one or two books I have, or translated for me directly by Mario. We all in our naivete may in time find some of his writings "harsh"... Dr. Dahesh even commented as such in one of his books that I know of. But he wrote what was true for us.

Now what if we as people are offended by his directness? The truth as revealed to us, whether it finds itself within our minds or not is still the truth. Frankly, I would rather hear what the actual truths of life are, be shocked, and then search myself to find what it means and how my spiritual life needs to be awakened to fit within it.... rather than me modilfying things to suite my own taste. Yes, I believe in Dr. Dahesh and who he was and what he said that much. And yes, not everything has been easy going. One must search deep to manifest the real meanings of these spiritual teachings within oneself...even if it seems to run against the grain of so many of what is considered "normal" or just "different" to us relative to our our daily lives.

Will others be "put off" by certain teachings or concepts of Dr. Dahesh? Invariably yes... but it has always been this way. We know that many of Jesus' teachings were "shocking" too at the time... and well, we know how that all turned out...

Winged, back to your earlier question... does the detail of the language used and proper grammar matter for full spiritual enlightenment?... maybe yes, maybe no... these are indeed details of a sort, meaning that ones INTENT of speaking of them or praying with them (is to my mind anyway) is indeed MORE important. However, in speaking of INTENT...our one INTENT, our one MANDATE here in Daheshville, and the sole reason for this site existing... is to convey Dr. Dahesh's words and teachings as we know them TO THE LETTER and to convey them as ACCURATELY as is humanly possible.

We know of the various discrepancies that scholars have struggled with in word usage in the Bible. Translations from Aramaic to Greek, to Latin to English...and all the languages in between that I don't know...or whatever the road these words travelled... NUANCE is everything. When we read about the RIB of Adam being used to make Eve, well, the actual word used supposedly in the original Aramaic, is "curve"... Not to rewrite the Old Testament, but "curve" could mean "helix".... "helix" could refer to the DNA strain... see my point? Does it matter if we believe Eve was made from Adam's rib or she was made from his DNA? Well, yes it does, and no it doesn't. HOWEVER... if I had the opportunity to know the actual TRUTH of the matter... well now THAT I would want to know! Now here, today, we have the opportunity to know these direct words and translations of Dr. Dahesh.

To come full circle... "spiritual fluid" is the direct English equivalent of Dr. Dahesh's words and "sayaal" with an "s" on the end of it is not a word in Arabic. Those are the facts... and yes I am sure some Arabic speakers (from websites I too have read) don't really care about this particular detail either way... well, that is fine (for them anyway) and that is their journey. We just want to hold to accuracy here in Daheshville...that is all. How anyone reads or chooses to accept or belief or digest those facts, well that is totally up to the individual. If no one in the world from this point forward became a Daheshist because of this particular stumbling block, does that mean we change the facts so that the "masses" come along and believe? No...and I guess no one believes in Daheshism then... and sadly, so be it. Accuracy has to held above all else... the watering down of the truest meaning of things I am sure will come along soon enough in time...

No one is personally offended if you see otherwise, the facts still are as they are. Just understand that in our writing in English, while the "concept" as you say may be more pallatable to write "sayaals"... to an Arabic speaker it is kind of the equivalent of us hearing them say "spiritual fluidaats" all the time because "it sounds better to them".

Comment

While I have always had a desire to learn Arabic... sadly I do not think it will come to pass in this lifetime. Maybe that is a "rite of passage" that I have failed at and as such is a shortcoming for me...(well, I have many shortcomings, so I will just add that one to the list...)

My thoughts and the essence of my inner prayers are indeed in English... and since I would be "learning" Arabic as opposed to being raised in an environment that actaully spoke and lived Arabic, I don't know if I would ever learn enough Arabic to express the nuances of my most inner thoughts anyway. Does this make me less of a Daheshist? Does this make those that come after us and read Dr. Dahesh's words in English (can't wait any longer for THAT to happen!) and find them true any less of being Daheshists? Sadly, (and humorously ) I have met Daheshists that I think deep in their hearts have thought this to be true (about me).

Be that as it may... Dr. Dahesh saw America as the land where Daheshism would take root... and yes, despite various rumors to the contrary, English is the primary language of America. How will Americans take to Daheshism when they hear that of all languages, the prayer is in Arabic ??? Especially in light of global events over recent years???

How to answer that?... I honestly don't know. All I know is that as an American white male, while this seemed a little "different" at first... it in the end was really not that odd... why? because the INTENT of the prayer made sense to me. I have to trust that when other people are ready, the intent of what Dr. Dahesh and Daheshism is about will make sense to them as well. Everyone comes along in their own way and in their own time. We do not need "converts" or "followers" for any of this to exist... it already is, and it already was. We're talking about alpha and omega here.

I learned and grew to know what I know over 20 some years... and I know I have only scratched the surface of what I need to know and live by... and truly understanding all the finer points of Daheshism and life... well, that is indeed a life long journey... Some of this information comes easier than other parts, and no one, and I mean NO ONE, is ready for the whole enchilada of Daheshism in one serving.

Comment

The Nature of English

"Fluid" in "Spiritual Fluid" is fine and works with me, I just needed to get the right definition of "fluid" in mind. "Essence" is ok, but here are the definitions for essence that might relate:

1. The choicest or most essential or most vital part of some idea or experience
                        2. Any substance possessing to a high degree the predominant properties of a plant or drug or other natural product from which it is extracted

The first definition makes "essence" to be something intangible and formless where in fact spirit is tangible, at least to spirit, and often does have form. The second definition I think comes closer to the true nature of spiritual matter, but apparently general application of this definition is for extracts.

What I mean about causing someone to be put off about Daheshism is to have Daheshists become critical about an English speaker Anglicizing Arabic while speaking English when the person hardly knows how to say "hello" in Arabic let alone "sayyal", has never taken an Arabic grammar class, and is trying to adjust to idea of using a foreign language to express and discuss religious and spiritual ideas.

In English, there are all sorts of borrowed words from other languages that English speakers pluralize using "s" which might not be natural nor correct in the original language:

tsunamis (Japanese), sarongs (Malay), avalanches (Romansh), barges (Egyptian), bungalos (Bengali), caramels (Arabic), diapers (Greek), hunks (Flemish), icebergs (Norwegian), pandas (Nepali), robots (Czech), pals (Romani), rabbits (Waloon), saunas (Finnish), sugars (Sanskrit), teepees (Sioux), yams (Fulani)...

That is the nature of English - a language that stemmed from a conglomerate of other languages.

Would it be a bit extreme to require English speakers to use the grammatical rules of the mother languages for each of these words in order to pluralize each of these words?

As an example, the English word "fluid" comes from Latin "fluidus" which if we were to pluralize the word in its mother tongue, I think it would be "fluidi". English actually does do this for a few words like "alumnus" -> "alumni". Most of such words seem to relate to academia where I believe Latin and Greek words are purposefully borrowed since in Western culture, the Romans and Greeks are historical models for scholarly learning.

I think this is why I, as an English speaker who has studied many other languages and see borrowing and transfer of words between languages to be something very common in those languages, think it to be odd to see such an emphasis on language "purity". Such "purity" does not exist in English. I understand that culturally among Arabic nations, purity is an ideal. However, I doubt that the Arabic language lacks any borrowed words and it would be hard for me to believe that Arabic grammatical rules are not applied to such borrowed words when speaking Arabic.

My second language is Japanese. The Japanese have borrowed a lot of words from Chinese - actually a large percentage of the words in Japanese are derived from Chinese but pronounced using Japanese rules of pronunciation. They also have borrowed many words from the Portuguese, Spanish, and English. What is interesting is that the Japanese have one "alphabet" for native Japanese (and Chinese) words (Hiragana) and another "alphabet" for foreign words (Katakana). However, there are borrowed words such as "tabako" (which word is believed to have originated from the Caribbean Arawak language and used in Portugese, Spanish, and English) that have been used in the country for so long that today they are commonly written in Hiragana. Of course, Japanese grammatical rules apply to all of these borrowed words when speaking Japanese. As a general rule in Japanese, words are not pluralized by adding anything to the word; pluralization is inferred through context or by specifying the number of items in the sentence. However, if pluralization needs to be delineated then "-tachi" is added to the end of the noun.

Japanese words are commonly used and "butchered" in English (ie. karate, karaoke, harakiri). Actually all of those words have some relation to butchering. Since I speak Japanese, I wince a little when hearing them not pronounced the Japanese way so I can understand the concern of those who speak Arabic and the desire and temptation to correct any deviation from the native usage of Arabic words.
                        Last edited by WingedPaladin; 11-17-2007, 07:14 AM.

Comment

Thank you

I want to say I appreciate your (Mario's, David's, and others') efforts in making Dr. Dahesh and his teachings more accessible and understandable to Americans and English speakers and for explaining your standpoint and experiences in Daheshism to this multicultural American.

Comment

"Fluid" as an Adjective...

Thank you Winged Paladin and David.

I went back to the Arabic Dictionary and looked up the definition of "Sayyaal"

The root of the word (in Arabic) is "Saala" (for masculine) which is a verb meaning "To Flow."

From here, we have many variations and sub variations, one of which leads us to a definition of "Liquid."

Ah, but it is not "Sayyaal"...

"Sayyaal" in Arabic denotes something flowing strongly or with great ease. Hence it is an adjective and not a noun.

Therefore, saying "sayyaal" is like saying "I am fluid in Japanese".

Now, in case some are wondering: "Didn't Doctor Dahesh monitor any of this?"

I can safely say that Doctor Dahesh delegated versus micromanaged. And, often, he watched and... boiled inside... from afar... and sometimes... within a few inches away from me. Oh, the things I've heard about some who claim greatness...

For years, a translation in French of one of Ghazi Brax's lectures (and which was credited out of respect to Mrs. Marie Haddad—which had no part in translating it) contained a blatant mistake (Grammar wise). No one, for years, caught it, until, and after the Death of Doctor Dahesh, a Daheshist sister who was very fluent in French rolled her eyes and said (in front of me) "How can anyone not even notice this mistake?! And worse, people now will think Teta Marie didn't have a command of the French Language"

The fact of the matter is that we're human and we need to keep "measuring twice" before "we cut once".

Anyway, this is all productive and I am we're having these exchanges.
                            Last edited by Mario; 11-17-2007, 11:40 AM.
                            "Fail, to succeed."

Comment

Originally posted by Johnson View Post
                              While I have always had a desire to learn Arabic... sadly I do not think it will come to pass in this lifetime. Maybe that is a "rite of passage" that I have failed at and as such is a shortcoming for me...(well, I have many shortcomings, so I will just add that one to the list...)
                              How about we look at the bright side: Winged Paladin and yourself didn't have to undergo years of having to learn the whole blessed language!

And the irony? Americans can pronounce certain Arabic words already. For example, remember the part where I did my impersonation of a Valley Girl to show the nuance is "Waou"? Or how about "Sod" versus "Seen" or... the "Tah" in "Intolerable" versus "Talent"... I am telling you, with the exception of a couple of sounds which CAN be mastered, Americans (As in Born and Raised) have it within them to be able to speak Arabic as an Arab would.

As for me: I went to French Catholic school. But... let me tell you. The "Brothers" wanted to make sure no one, and I mean NO one ever accused them of neglecting Arabic. The result? I've had a stringent Arabic education, starting with pronunciation.

I am no angel ... but I am proud of one thing: not once, and I mean ONCE, did the Doctor correct my pronunciation or gave me "the look" when speaking in Arabic.

Although... there was that one time where he corrected my English... The Doctor was with me in NYC and he and I were on the phone (he in the bedroom, me in the living room) and we were both trying to get a call through to Jordan. I don't remember exactly the context, but at some point, he told me in Arabic to tell the operator "Malek Hussein"... which means "King Hussein"... so, what do I do? I say "Malek Hussein" to the operator... who answers "huh?" The Doctor immediately corrects me and says ("King! King!") ... and I believe the "You idiot" was silent
                              "Fail, to succeed."

Comment

Working...
                              X