• Show
Clear All

• The ALLAH Song

The ALLAH Song

By Mario Henri Chakkour

Who would I tell it to?
    'Cause I've been waiting too long.
    And now the weighting is gone.

Won't you be close to me 'ecause I love you, I really love you.

I really love the sound of your name.

I makes me shiver all over.

How could I have wanted any other one to be close to me?
    'Cause I love you, I really love you.

There might have been times I doubted.
    I might have been torn in two.
    But none of it matters 'cause I am making my way back to you.

ALLAH!

(Here is the MP3 file)
    Drum samples by the late Mike Botts, courtesy of Ilio's Plantinum Drums.
    Last edited by Daheshville; 11-04-2008, 04:18 AM.
    "Fail, to succeed."

I am glad that John Lennon is alive and well and is still writing music!

(ed. note: That was a supreme compliment~!)

Comment

Mario,

It is an amazing song, really enjoyed it. Can you tell us about that song. How did it happen and when was it written. Thanks

Comment

Thank you Chad (and David)

This particular piece started out as a short blues-inspired gospel song called "Who would I tell it to?" that I recorded in 1985 in memory of Doctor Dahesh (it was one of several pieces I created in that period). It didn't have the bridge at the time nor the chorus part (where we hear the homage to "ALLAH"). So the basic structure of the song was something I always played, especially if I had the opportunity to play with other musicians.

Sometime around 1998, Matus Betko, a highly talented classical flutist paid me a visit and we spent a whole afternoon playing around with some modern themes. We were recording music for a CD-ROM that I was releasing with one of the art reference books I produced.

Now, this, I will never forget: after having played for hours (and rigorously recording one track over the other) we decided to "jam" . So, I sat at the keyboards and we jammed for a bit and Matus got the feel of the piece and then we decided to record our session live (just the flute and keyboards) ... and here is the piece that we played (and which ended up on the CD): Lullaby

I added the drums/percussion and bass a few days later.

During the original session however, I basically fleshed out the 2 missing elements: the bridge and chorus.

Then around 2007 I was in tears watching A is for ALLAH on YouTube by Cat Stevens in which he sang the Arabic Alphabet and related it to "ALLAH."

At the time also, I was in the early stages of the Daheshist Symbol series and I kept thinking about how the word "ALLAH" and what sort of statement I could make as far as its (perhaps overlooked) universal meaning. In other words, pick an average American off the street and say the word "ALLAH" to him (or her) and you might as well have said "Boo" to them. The same goes with the word "Arab"...

The fact of the matter is that "Arabs" existed long before Islam and that the Arabic version of the Bible and the New Testament, "GOD" is referred to as "ALLAH." Plus, this was all coinciding with episode 12 of the series, in which we were teaching people how to write and pronounce "ALLAH" in Arabic.

So I was yearning for "something" that would be a blues-gospel song with the word "ALLAH" in the Chorus. Also, and subconsciously, it was an homage to Harrison's "My Sweet Lord" and especially to The Weight by The Band

But, I had forgotten about "Lullaby."

And as I was reviewing the main theme that would be placed in that episode (featuring Matus' flute also) I replayed "Lullaby" and the chorus just fit naturally.

By that time also, I had perfected the technique of building sophisticated drum tracks using the collection recorded by the late Micheal (Mike) Botts (an original member of the group BREAD) and I've been wanting to create a piece in which his contribution would be also noted. I had communicated with him shortly before he passed away after losing his battle with cancer and he never let on that he was ill—on the contrary, he was very gracious. So I never forgot his gesture towards me. And in many ways, this piece is a prayer for him as well, as it is for all the loved ones we've cherished and lost.

In essence, I would say that I wanted to create a contemporary spiritual song that can be (dare I be so presumptuous) Daheshist.

For those who just keeled over... Just take out the drums and guitars, focus on the melody and imagine John Williams conducting...
        Last edited by Mario; 10-26-2008, 05:43 AM.
        "Fail, to succeed."

Comment

great song

just i would like to know who is the singer and i hear more then one singing sometimes , is it an effect or is someone else singing in the same time ,

by the way i used to play '2oud' witch is like an oriental guitar , i stopped but i wish to go back to it someday when that is possible and do your advice for me about doing something artistic

anyway thank you and keep up the good work

Comment

Thank you Boxfox.

At the risk of sounding immodest, I am singing all the vocals tracks and playing all the instruments (except for the drums). And you're right, these are several (real) vocal tracks, layered one on top of the other the traditional way.

I've always wanted to play the oud. My father, who was friends with Fareed Al Atrash (who actually gave me a kiss on the cheeks when I was a young lad) built an oud for him (he also built the set of his first movie "Habbib El 3umr"

Such a beautiful and soulful instrument... I think the oud is the equivalent of the violin in that it is an instrument that sings. In fact, you typically see oud players also play the violin (Simon Shaheen, who I had the opportunity to see in a private concert held at a his friend's house) and, of course, Maestro Rafik Hobeika (who, for several years) lived right across the hall from us during the war (in Ajaltoun) I would always hear him practice — and when I was finally allowed to play guitar, he would (sometimes) stop outside my window and quietly listen to me learn my chords. I think art and music saved me...

Absolutely, if the arts (in whatever form they may be) call upon you, answer the call. Don't necessarily try and make a career out of it ... that usually takes the fun out of the process. Also, art can help you solve problems better and think clearer. And... don't stress over the fact that you have to get training... Sometimes, learning music the traditional way may stifle growth.

This is one area where I don't have expertise since I am self-taught. I must say, however, that having a basic knowledge of music theory is important. That way you can build structures even if you "solo" or improvise.
            "Fail, to succeed."

Comment

good , i see that have been blessed artistically and spiritually in your life .

and talking about self creating art , i posted on youtube a video clip of Wadih el Safi who is one of the pioneers in the traditional lebanese song , the song is called 'lobnan ya ot3it sama' means ' Lebanon a piece of heaven ' the sound quality might not be the best since i was rushy in doing it in the montage class project in the university and it was my the second time i use Adobe Premier.
              here's the link :

in case it doesn't open search for 'wadih el safi - lobnan ya ot3it sama' in youtube

enjoy,

Comment

Thank you for your kind words.

I haven't heard Wadee3 since I left Lebanon... Awesome song and singer.

You did a lovely tribute and you're certainly talented and passionate about the arts. I hope to see more of your work.
                "Fail, to succeed."

Comment

Sorry i am not a fan of Wadeh el Safi although he is a great artist,and i got really angry when he was sick and he had to leave to Syria for treatment sinve he couldn't get any support from the Lebanese Government... anyway.
                  I loved piano since I was little and I even play on my free time and always try to play my favorite songs, as I could.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

That’s the style I like most; note his guy is only 14 years old.

Comment

Working...
                  X